Recreate the Nordik Spa-Nature experience at home
It’s the perfect time to do the things you keep putting off until tomorrow. No, this isn’t about sorting out the contents of the kitchen junk drawer: it’s about taking some time for yourself! While the last few weeks have been devoted to spring cleaning and industrial-scale production of banana bread, we’re now focusing on well-being.
Since a visit to the spa isn’t an option right now, we suggest you bring the spa to your home! Together with Nordik Spa-Nature, we invite you to take a break and treat yourself to a day of relaxation and well-being worthy of a spa visit, in the comfort of your own home.
Here are 6 steps to enjoy the Nordik Spa-Nature experience as if you were there.
Relaxation involves all the senses, and there’s nothing like music to help you unwind. That’s why Nordik has put together a Spotify playlist to create a musical oasis of relaxation.
It’s well known that our olfactory sense is very powerful, and a simple smell can put us into a completely different state of mind. Turn on your essential oil diffuser (eucalyptus, citrus, lavender, etc.) or light candles with calming scents and let the aroma transport you to a sauna.
The spa’s dress code is very simple: a bathing suit, a cozy robe, and to accessorize, a small towel. Since a soak in the thermal baths isn’t on at the moment (unless your backyard is equipped with a hot tub), a bathing suit is not required, but comfort is mandatory!
To disconnect completely, how about a little meditation? If this is your first experience, take it easy and follow these tips from the specialist at Nordik Spa-Nature.
- Find a quiet, dimly lit spot, away from all distractions.
- Find a comfortable, stable sitting position.
- Close your eyes and take long, deep breaths.
- Remember that the point is not to achieve a goal or a result.
- Let your focus shift to your breathing, and accept the impermanence of things.
- Repeat the steps as many times as you need to.
The long-awaited moment has arrived: it’s time for body treatments. Head for the pantry to whip up a few relaxing concoctions recommended by the Nordik Spa-Nature wellness team!
For the feet
Get your feet ready for summer with this exfoliation treatment.
- Combine in a small bowl:
2 tbsp. (30 ml) fine salt
2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive, coconut or argan oil
- Soak your feet in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes, or do this treatment immediately after a shower. If you have a pumice stone, you can use it to smooth away calluses.
- Using a gentle circular motion, massage your feet with the salt mixture for a few minutes, paying particular attention to your heels.
- Rinse your feet.
- Apply a rich foot cream and wear socks for the next hour.
For the face
Cocoa is a powerful antioxidant. It helps counteract the damaging effects on the skin of free radicals released by stress and exposure to toxins like pollution and tobacco.
Chocolate hydrating and exfoliating masque*:
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
1 tbsp. (15 ml) cocoa
1 tbsp. (15 ml) maple syrup
1 tbsp. (15 ml) cream of coconut
1 tbsp. (15 ml) coffee grounds
- Remove your makeup and wash your face.
- Apply the mixture and massage gently into the skin.
- Leave on 15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
* Before applying the mixture to your face, test a small amount on the back of your hand. Although all the ingredients are natural, reactions can occur.
For the hair
To condition hair and stimulate hair growth.
One ripe banana, mashed
1 tbsp. (15 ml) vegetable oil (olive, avocado, castor, argan, jojoba, etc.)
- Apply the mixture to the hair, strand by strand.
- Cover your head with a towel.
- Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse and shampoo your hair.
A true spa visit isn’t complete without a little refreshment as a final reward! Help yourself to a glass of one of these infused waters (or a glass of wine, it’s up to you!), and cook up a batch of this homemade naan bread suggested by Nordik Spa-Nature. You can serve it with various side dishes (dip, hummus, etc.) or pizza-style with whatever ingredients you have on hand. Cheers! 😉
Are you relaxed and completely de-stressed? Continue your spa day with a little reading thanks to these suggestions of books set in the Outaouais (note: blog post & books are in French), and take a break from cooking by ordering takeout from one of these local restaurants!