November 16 to 22: Few good spots for your Christmas dinner in Outaouais.
The holiday season is just around the corner, and holiday time means lots of good food and drink! This year, just imagine not having to do the dishes, not having to cook up a feast for an army of relatives … Sounds pretty appealing, doesn’t it? Well, here’s a list of restaurants that would be delighted to welcome you and your gang over the holidays.
Dinner for 2
Making a reservation for just two people isn’t usually a problem, but all the same, we thought you might appreciate a few helpful suggestions for your intimate Christmas dinner.
- Soif Wine Bar – We’ll start by mentioning this award-winning restaurant’s latest distinction: it was rated one of Canada’s top 10 new restaurants by enRoute, Air Canada’s in-flight magazine. The warm, informal setting, intriguing menu, and truly amazing wine list will put you in the holiday spirit in no time.
- L’Orée du Bois – Nestled at the edge of the charming village of Old Chelsea, this restaurant is something of a local legend. Every year it serves up a mouth-watering special Christmas menu that’s guaranteed to please the most discriminating palate.
- Le Tartuffe – A favourite on the region’s culinary scene for more than 25 years, Le Tartuffe specializes in fine French cuisine prepared with fresh local ingredients. For lunch or dinner, treat yourself to an exceptional meal at one of the best restaurants in town.
- Gy restaurant-traiteur –Renowned chef and owner Gyno Lefrançois just keeps going from strength to strength! He and his expert team cordially invite you to join them at his very own restaurant in historic Old Hull. How about this for a Christmas treat: some delicious beef tartare with a little seared foie gras on the side!
Dinner for 4
The holidays are the perfect time to go out for a meal with friends and family. Here are a few suggestions for Christmas dinner for four:
- Les Vilains Garçons – A menu that changes daily—now there’s something you don’t often see! The former executive chef of the Wakefield Mill Inn, now co-owner of Les Vilains Garçons, creates a daily menu based on the freshest local flavours. The wine list is nothing to sneer at either! This restaurant has quickly taken its place among Laval Street’s top dining spots.
- Le Forain – The name of this bistro-style restaurant means “carnival performer,” and you’ll sense the lively atmosphere the moment you walk in the door. Three rooms imaginatively decorated in different themes await your dining pleasure, and the menu will have you juggling a medley of delicious choices!
- Le Cellier – Just down the street from Gy restaurant-traiteur in Old Hull, Le Cellier (“the cellar,” as in wine!) offers an unbeatable combination of great food and drink. Wednesdays from 5 to 8 p.m., oysters are $1; and Thursdays are for tartares, tard, tard!, with half-price tartares from 8 to 11 p.m. You’ll love the excellent food and the friendly, casual atmosphere of this multi-room restaurant.
Dinner for 6 or more
Office party, family reunion, night out with friends: here’s a list of restaurants where your group can enjoy a delicious meal and celebrate the holidays together.
- Les Brasseurs du temps – An outstanding selection of house beers, a historic setting, and a festive atmosphere: it’s all in place for a memorable evening. Gathering around the large tables with your family is sure to bring back happy memories of Christmases past.
- Piz’za-za Restaurant & Wine Bar – This popular neighbourhood restaurant has been serving up holiday lunches and dinners to hungry revellers for more than 20 years. The second-floor space is ideal for groups of 6 or more, and with over 25 pizzas to choose from, everyone can have their ideal combo!
- La Ferme Rouge – Like a phoenix, La Ferme Rouge has risen from the ashes of the devastating fire of February 2014 to take up right where it left off—namely, to provide the ideal party venue! From its new location in the Double Tree by Hilton hotel in Gatineau’s Aylmer sector, this unique restaurant, a real Outaouais institution, continues to deliver an unforgettable dinner-theatre experience.
Needless to say, you’re encouraged to make your holiday reservations early at these fine establishments. And of course, this list is by no means exhaustive! For more suggestions of excellent places to enjoy a holiday meal, visit the Accommodation and Food section of our website. No matter where you end up, the important thing is to have a fantastic #outaouaisfun time!
For more suggestions activities in the Outaouais region, visit our website www.tourismeoutaouais.com. And don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using our regional hashtag #outaouaisfun!
Featured image: Mendigot chicken - L'Orée du Bois